Cartel of Defiance

cartel of defiance (noun): 1. In medieval combat, a formal declaration, delivered by herald, of a combatant's intention to fight and refusal to submit. 2. An electronic assemblage of engaged and enraged citizens. 3. An intertextual mode of reading, writing, and thinking that puts the current political, cultural, and personal moment in dialogue with text/art from the past in counterargument to the ahistorical Memory Hole into which America seems to have slipped.

Monday, November 06, 2006

in the western night

For the present stalks abroad
Like the past and its wronged again
Whimper and are ignored,
And the truth cannot be hid;
Somebody chose their pain,
What needn't have happened did.

Occurring this very night
By no established rule,
Some event may have hurled
Its first little No at the right
Of the laws we accept to school
Our post-diluvian world:

But the stars burn on overhead,
Unconscious of final ends,
As I walk home to bed,
Asking what judgement waits
My person, all my friends,
And these United States.

--W.H. Auden, from "A Walk After Dark" (1948)

3 Comments:

Blogger wg said...

late night after The Wave:

But since, so jump upon this bloody question,
You from the [Iraq] wars, and you from England,
Are here arrived give order that these bodies
High on a stage be placed to the view;
And let me speak to the yet unknowing world
How these things came about: so shall you hear
Of carnal, bloody, and unnatural acts,
Of accidental judgments, casual slaughters,
Of deaths put on by cunning and forced cause,
And, in this upshot, purposes mistook
Fall'n on the inventors' reads: all this can I
Truly deliver.--Hamlet 5.2

4:52 AM  
Blogger &y said...

O glorious Wave. In the sorta words of Gary Glitter (the only poet who leaps to mind when I think about The Wave... I really need to read more):

"Na-na-na na-na-na-na,
Na-na-na-na-na. Hey!"
--Rock and Roll

I don't think I probably stanzafied, punctuated, or transcribed that very well, Professor wg--my brain is real tired. Not finished finished yet (de fense is yet to come). But the document is done, and I've submitted it to the proper authorities. So I'm slowly turing the ol' website back on. I promised I'd let the Cartel know when/if this ever happened.

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi
Very nice site.
liposuction photo online http://liposuction.obyh.info/ liposuction online
Bye

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Man (1938)

Powered by Blogger