Cartel of Defiance

cartel of defiance (noun): 1. In medieval combat, a formal declaration, delivered by herald, of a combatant's intention to fight and refusal to submit. 2. An electronic assemblage of engaged and enraged citizens. 3. An intertextual mode of reading, writing, and thinking that puts the current political, cultural, and personal moment in dialogue with text/art from the past in counterargument to the ahistorical Memory Hole into which America seems to have slipped.

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

a perilous escapade

I shall not soon forget that moment when I, Joseph Darby, Esq., known in parts of this great city simply by my last name...Darby of London...decided to publish a small broadside for the common consumption out of a printing shop owned by the father of my late wife, my father-in-law, Mr. Hodges.

Little is known of this journal, for it dissappeared almost as quickly as it was born...printed on a single page, and oftentimes with the remaining ink from what had been the profits of the previous day's run at Mr. Hodges' shop....such are the limits of the not-so-independent publisher.

But fame was not to be caught in my frail net. And what little observations I had to make upon the stories of the day were always overshadowed by the importance I assigned to subjects that were not so bold, so noticed, nor bourne on the tongues of lords of court. Simply put, I was a press man hard-pressed to push, and pushed to my own peril to pay attention to the popular. And so my little broadside seemed to shrivel for want of readership.

One morning, a sheaf of the penultimate issue in the crook of my arm, I set off to the public square to hawk it there...and despite my lack of balance, general unease in the midst of the throng, and my soft voice, not well-suited to barking, crying or even indulging that last resort of the marketplace hack...the confident hiss of the whispered entreaty which proposes to sell by revealing a secret to vulnerable ears....I waded into the thick of the crowd, broadside held high.

Whatever strategy I had been intending to employ, however, was put to vain end when a young beggar immediately bowled me over and made off with the entire days run. I am sure he sold many more copies of my efforts than I might ever have, and justly so. How often is that the fate of the quick, the easy and the ephemeral in this world!

Such was the last issue of the Daily Darb. Abandoning it, I dedicated myself to the writing of weightier and longer-lasting fare. I must say, Mr. Hodges was quite relieved...seeing me returning to print shop empty handed so soon after I had left, he prodded my firmly upon the shoulder..."Why sell for pennies what others will pay for in pounds?"

Which, indeed, gave me a great deal to think about.

3 Comments:

Blogger awol said...

Coincidence.

"Your uncle, Mrs. Reardon, declares the Fadge is the most malicious man in the literary profession; though that's saying such a very great deal -- well, never mind! At Barlow's I found the queerest collection of people, most of them women of the inkiest description. The great Fadge himself surprised me; I expected to see a gaunt, bilious man, and he was the rosiest and dumpiest little dandy you can imagine; a fellow of forty-five, I dare say, with thin yellow hair and blue eyes and a manner of extreme innocence. Fadge flattered me with confidential chat, and I discovered at length why Barlow had asked me to meet him; it's Fadge that is going to edit Culpepper's new monthly -- you've heard of it? -- and he had actually thought it worth while to enlist me among the contributors! Now how's that for a piece of news?"

-- George Gissing, New Grub Street (from the paragraph, that I happened to be reading)

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Афтар недоумок [url=http://tutledy.ru/sovmestimost-s-muzhchinoy/91-sovmestimost-muzhchiny-i-zhenshchiny.html]совместимость мужчины и женщины[/url]

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

честно впадлу.. [url=http://tutledy.ru/zhenshchina-i-muzhchina/108-psikhologiya-muzhchiny-i-zhenshchiny.html]психология мужчины и женщины[/url]

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Man (1938)

Powered by Blogger